Saturday, February 9, 2013

Do you whistle while you work?

There is a man who works long, hard hours at a car wash. On a 20 degree day in upstate New York, his clothes are soaked from rinsing clean one car after another.  This is his job; what he does in order to support himself and his family. I sit in a warm car taking careful note of the sacrifices that he is making. He does not seem to mind that he is wet and cold. Instead, he is whistling as he hoses down my vehicle. I smile in amazement. I experience him in that moment as content in what he is doing, regardless of the amount of his paycheck or the harsh conditions within which he works. He inspires me to appreciate what I have, to make the most of a situation, and to find the joy in living.

Do you whistle while you work?

No comments:

Post a Comment